EDUCATIONAL VIDEO: Smooth, round silicone gel breast implants
Click to learn about the type of cohesive “gummy bear” silicone gel implants used by Dr. Karen Horton
I prefer to use silicone gel breast implants for most women in my practice. This applies to both cosmetic breast augmentations and the final stage of breast implant reconstruction following treatment for breast cancer.
The reason for this is that smooth, round silicone gel implants have the following advantages over saline implants or textured implants:
- Silicone gel feels more natural than saline (sterile salt water)-filled implants
- Silicone implants have a lower incidence of “rippling” (wrinkling of the implant) through the skin in very thin women
- The incidence of complications is the same between saline and silicone gel implants
- Smooth implant shells do not promote adhesion (stickiness) of scar tissue to the implant, enabling the implant to move around freely in its “capsule”, like normal breast tissue naturally moves with changes in body position
- The silicone gel is “cohesive” – this means the molecules are attached to each other, just like jello
- Silicone gel implants, often nicknamed “gummy bear” implants, feel soft and squishy like a moist gummy bear while inside the body
- Should a cohesive silicone gel implant break, the fill material cannot be absorbed by the body (like saline), nor can silicone from the implant migrate or move outside of its capsule
When asked by patients or husbands which implants I would have in MY body, I always answer “silicone gel, of course!”. The problem is, I cannot operate on myself!
Click on the video above to learn more about silicone gel breast implants that are commonly used in my practice.